Tuesday 6 August 2013

Awakening Foster Kelly by Cara Rosalie Olsen Review


Title : Awakening Foster Kelly  by Cara                       Rosalie Olsen

Release Date :  June 23rd 2013

Characters : Foster Kelly, Dominic Kassells, Emily Donahue, Jake Donahue

First Sentence : "Inhaling deeply, I waited for the soft commanding pull just below my belly button, arranging one hand, then the other, to rest over the cool, ivory piano keys."

Last Sentence : "Our story, it’s not for the logical, certainly not for the unimaginative; it belongs to the dreamers."

Summary :

If only a pile of wayward curls and the inability to stay on her feet were seventeen year-old Foster Kelly’s most pressing concerns. Unfortunately, stubborn hair and clumsiness are just the tip of it. At the age of five when Foster is told, “You don’t belong here,” it was only a mistake, but the result is one broken heart. These four carelessly spoken words have shaped and shadowed Foster, and now—a senior at Shorecliffs High-school—she seeks the wallflower’s existence, denying herself the most casual of friendships, much too afraid that someone will see what she believes is certain: she does not belong anywhere—or with anyone. 

This reality would continue to suit her just fine; however . . . Love has a long-standing history of undoing broken hearts.

Like a comet, an unexpected arrival knocks Foster out of the crowded, starry sky, sending her directly into the limelight. Exposed and afraid, she will attempt to regain anonymity; but it isn’t so easy now that someone is watching. He pursues this shy enigma, confronting Foster’s deepest fears head-on, and in the process falls wholly and completely in love with her. But there is something he is not saying . . . a secret capable of certain ruin. Either he will break her heart once and for all, or he will heal it.

In the end, though, it is Foster who must decide if she is worth mending.


Review :

"Tonight,"he continued,"when you walk out on that court to sing the National Anthem, I want you to think of that heart. I want you to believe in you the way I believe in you. Believe that you are, to me, my angel." 

Oh My GOSH! I don't even know where to begin. So in simple words I absolutely and completely LOVED this book.
Awakening Foster Kelly was such an amazing read. Though I felt it to be a little slow paced in the beginning the overall story more than just makes up for it.The characters felt so real. They were developed beautifully. The plot was different than what I usually go for and I'm so glad that I did.There was something about Foster that made me wanna hug her. Her hair somewhat reminded me of Merida from Brave whom I absolutely loved.Especially after the quote below:

"I looked in the mirror at the shoulder-length catastrophe spiraling and poking out in every direction. Never had I understood the concept of a good hair day;each morning I awoke and showered, and the entity on top of my head made its own choices." 

Foster's very close to her parents as she considers them her best ( only) friends.I especially liked this because I myself am very close to my parents and could relate well. AFK also has a pinch of enlightenment in it. I am in awe of the "Glowing Orchid" part. :D 
Then there is Dominic. I could just go on and on about him but lets suffice by saying he's one character you will be helpless to fall in love with. Some of the quotes in the book had me cracking up like a madman.

"I felt terrible for my dad, and was trying to think of something to mollify him, when my mother announced, “Well, I think you’re blueautiful!"

"It was now six o’clock, and I was buried, being eaten alive by my couch."


Jake and Emily were an awesome addition to the story. Trust me when I say they are one pair of hilarious siblings! Their banter gave me a lot of LOL moments.The conclusion of the story simply blew me away. AFK made me laugh and it made me cry. All in all I'm really happy I went for AFK and as mentioned in the book :

"A mysterious object, a good book. It did that to you; made it almost painful turning the last page. Then it clung in your mind, like static, refusing to let go until another book came along and gently weaved its undoing spell." 

Awakening Foster Kelly is without a doubt one of those books. Hats off to the author Cara Olsen for such an amazing debut. I cant wait for more of her books. Highly Recommended!!

No comments:

Post a Comment