Sunday 31 March 2013

Do Over By Emily Evans Review


SUMMARY

“Run Paisley run. Don’t look at Trey as boyfriend-material. He’s ridiculously smoking hot, but when he dates--he’s cheetah fast. Quick to catch you. Then gone.” 

My BFF is right. Trey’s not for me. 

I know what I want out of senior year: an artistic guy, a perfect prom, and a plan to reunite my parents. I can make those happen if I have a magical crystal like the one I saw at the museum. I need that Do Over stone. 

How to use the power…hmm…Trey’s an über-jock with commitment issues. Can I turn him into the perfect boyfriend? Maybe with a thousand do overs.




REVIEW

This story is a romance. Pez is forced to interact with the jocks her father coaches. She finds one of them attractive, but she recognizes that he's promiscuous and isn't generally into jocks, so doesn't act on it. Over the course of the story, they get to know each other better and develop a relationship. There is some tension before they act on their attraction, and there are difficulties they overcome when they start having a relationship, but the author doesn't unnecessarily draw out the problems, and Pez doesn't spend all her time wallowing in thoughts about the relationship - she's got things to do after all.

I love that the author avoids the standard YA tropes and tendencies. There's no love triangle, insta-love, or angst. The girl doesn't feel unworthy of attention and she doesn't need - or get - a makeover. She's popular and good at school without being a genius or a goddess. The boy has no impulse control issues and wasn't her best friend from when they were kids. Nobody is abused or bullied. Mind you, I've loved stories that had all of these things, but it's refreshing to see YA romance that doesn't use any of them.

Highly recommended if you like YA romances.

No comments:

Post a Comment