Saturday 13 July 2013

The Fault in Our Stars By John Green Review

Title - The Fault in Our Stars

Author - John Green

Hardcover - 318 pages

Published January 10th 2012

Publishibg House - Dutton Books

Characters - Hazel Grace Lancaster, Augustus Waters

Summary

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Review

“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” 

I have to admit that I was anxious to read The Fault In our Stars seeing as so many of you loved it and I am so glad I did. The story was different that what I expected and in a good way. My heart laughed and cried so many times during the story. Even though I somehow suspected how the story would end it still broke my heart to actually see the story progress that way. 
That said, while I knew to expect sadness, what I didn’t expect at all was to laugh. I laughed, I smiled, and I chuckled. So much of this book was just downright cute and funny.
So this amazing but tragic story is about Hazel & Augustus. Hazel is diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. It was supposed to be terminal, but thanks to a miracle drug, she’d continued to live. And while she had to carry an oxygen tank around with her at all times she was still living her life, surrounded by her loving family and living each day to the best she could. In Support Group, she met Augustus. Oh Augustus! So self-assured, gorgeous, witty, and just wonderful. He had a form of cancer that had an 80% survival rate, and was doing quite well for the most part. And he and Hazel struck up a friendship that, over the course of the book, developed into so much more. 
When he first appeared on scene, I felt that sort of instant connection and love for him that you feel when you meet those special book characters that steal your heart. I knew when I met him though, that there was no way this book would not break my heart. He was just downright swoonworthy – in an oddly witty and endearing way. For the first half of the book, I honestly spent most of it smiling. I loved watching Hazel and Augustus fall in love. It was slow, sweet, and beautiful… and sometimes you just forgot what they were going though. Sometimes, they just seemed like regular happy teens – gorgeously intelligent, fun, flirting teens.

“May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice.
I smiled. "Sure."
"Tomorrow?" he asked.
"Patience, grasshopper," I counseled. "You don't want to seem overeager.
"Right, that's why I said tomorrow," he said. "I want to see you again tonight. But I'm willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow." I rolled my eyes. "I'm serious," he said. 

"You don't even know me," I said. I grabbed the book from the center console. "How about I call you when I finish this?"
"But you don't even have my phone number," he said.
"I strongly suspect you wrote it in this book."
He broke out into that goofy smile. "And you say we don't know each other.”
 



"Seriously, don't even get me started on my hot bod. You don't want to see me naked, Dave. Seeing me naked actually took Hazel Grace's breath away,' he said, nodding toward the oxygen tank.” 

This book is full of absolutely beautiful & amazing quotes! The quotes were actually what made me decide to start the book in the first place. It’s so rare for me to read a book that doesn’t have a happy ending, but I felt I had to make an exception in this case. The Fault In Our Stars was a beautiful book, with beautiful moments and a beautiful story. Augustus and Hazel have a special place in my heart.

Favorite Quotes

“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.” 

“That's the thing about pain," Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. "It demands to be felt” 

“You don't get to choose if you get hurt in this world...but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.” 

You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful.” 

“Oh, I wouldn't mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.” 

"In freedom, most people find sin.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment